Things to NOT feed your Kid!!!
Your Kid could have a negative reaction to the following foods/items. As always, call your Veterinarian with any concerns or questions!
People food. Your Kid may look so cute as he sits there begging for a bite of your chocolate cake or a chip covered in guacamole but not giving him what he wants could save his life. Animals have different metabolisms than people. Some foods and beverages that are perfectly safe for people can be dangerous and sometimes fatal for your Kid.
Chocolate. Chocolate products contain substances called methylxanthine that can cause vomiting in small doses and death if ingested in larger quantities. Darker chocolate contains more of these dangerous substances than do white or milk chocolate. The amount of chocolate that could result in death depends on the type of chocolate and the size of the dog. For smaller breeds, just half an ounce of baking chocolate can be fatal, while a larger dog might survive eating 4 to 8 ounces. Coffee and caffeine have similarly dangerous chemicals.
Alcohol and Yeast Dough. Alcoholic beverages contain ethanol a seriously toxic chemical compound that causes central nervous system and respiratory depression. Uncooked yeast dough also produce ethanol. Even small amounts of ethanol can cause toxic effects. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in animals are similar to those in people, and may include vomiting, breathing problems, coma and, in severe cases, death. So be careful with your cocktail or glass of wine.
Avocado. Avocadoes have a substance called persin that can act as a dog poison, causing vomiting and diarrhea.
Macadamia nuts. Dogs may suffer from a series of symptoms, including weakness, overheating, and vomiting, after consumption of macadamia nuts.
Grapes and raisins. These fruits can induce kidney failure in dogs. Even a small number may cause problems in some dogs.
Onions. Onions can cause a form of hemolytic anemia called Heinz body anemia, a condition that causes the destruction of red blood cells. Kidney damage may follow. Toxicity may occur from similar foods such as garlic and chives. Poisoning can result from raw, cooked and dehydrated forms. Avoid feeding table scraps and any foods cooked with onions including some baby foods. Check your ingredients! Symptoms include pale gums, rapid heart rate, weakness and lethargy. Other signs include vomiting, diarrhea, and bloody urine.
Caffeine. Caffeine is quite similar to the toxic chemical in chocolate. It can damage the heart, lungs, kidney and central nervous system. Commons sources of toxicity include caffeine pills, coffee beans and coffee, large amounts of tea, and chocolate. Symptoms begin with restlessness, hyperactivity and vomiting. These can be followed by panting, weakness, drunken gait, increased heart rate, muscle tremors and convulsions. Your vet may induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage. Treatment includes administration of activated charcoal and supportive care with fluid therapy and medications.
Fruit Pits and Seeds. Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, and plum pits contain the toxin cyanide. Signs of cyanide poisoning include vomiting, heavy breathing, apnea tachycardia, cardiac arrhythmias, coma, and skin irritation. In some cases, antidotes are available. Other treatments include oxygen therapy, fluids and supportive care. Also the leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
Rotten or Moldy Foods. Moldy or rotten foods can cause many problems for your dog, some more serious than others. Any food that seems "past its prime" should be kept out reach. Be especially careful to keep your dog away from trash cans. If you wonít eat it, donít expect your Kid to eat it! Botulism often from garbage can cause paralysis, slow heart rate, constipation, and urine retention. An antitoxin is effective only if poisoning is caught early enough. Rotten fruit produces ethanol, causing the same effects associated with alcohol or yeast dough. Moldy foods contain toxins that may cause muscle tremors, convulsions and drunkenness. Therapy depends on the toxin. Your vet may induce vomiting. Sometimes, treatment includes activated charcoal. Supportive care with fluids and medications is often necessary.
Xylitol. This sweetener is found in many products including sugar-free gum and candy. It causes a rapid drop in blood sugar, resulting in weakness and seizures. Liver failure also has been reported in some dogs. Be careful with gum in your purse or the human kidz placing their gum in the garbage can!
Rat and mouse poison. If ingested by dogs, can cause severe problems. The symptoms depend on the nature of the poison, and signs may not start for several days after consumption. In some instances, the dog may have eaten the poisoned rodent, and not been directly exposed to the toxin.
Pet medications. Just as we can be sickened or killed by medications intended to help us cases of pet poisoning by veterinary drugs are not uncommon. Some of the more commonly reported problem medications include painkillers and de-wormers. Keep those meds in a safe place and always follow the prescribed directions.
Household plants. They may be pretty but plants arenít necessarily pet friendly. Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include Azaleas and rhododendrons these pretty flowering plants contain toxins that may cause vomiting, diarrhea, coma, and potentially even death. Tulips and daffodils the bulbs of these plants may cause serious stomach problems, convulsions, and damage to the heart. Sago palms eating just a few may be enough to cause vomiting, seizures, and liver failure. Check the type of plants you have and the toxicity to animals if any.
Medications for people. Drugs that might be beneficial, or even life-saving, for people can have the opposite effect for your Kid and it doesnít always take a large dose to do major damage. Some of the most common and harmful medications that poison dogs include Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, which can cause stomach and intestinal ulcers or kidney failure, Antidepressants, which may cause vomiting and, in more serious instances, serotonin syndrome; a dangerous condition that raises temperature, heart rate, blood pressure and may cause seizures and, Isoniazid, a tuberculosis drug, is difficult for dogs to process. Even one tablet can cause problems in a small dog. Signs of poisoning include seizures and coma. Always keep your meds from your Kid and never give your Kid medications without discussing with your Veterinarian.
Flea and tick products. Thousands of animals are unintentionally poisoned by flea and tick products every year. Problems can occur if dogs accidentally ingest these products or if small dogs receive excessive amounts. Always follow the directions of the product carefully.
Household Chemical Ingestion. Your Kid can eat all kinds of things from common cleaners to detergent to mothballs. As in any case of poisoning, it is better to prevent it from occurring in the first place. Nevertheless, if your Kid should consume a dangerous chemical, be sure to take your Kid and a sample of the substance with you to the vet immediately. Symptoms differ according to the poisonous substance ingested, but can include vomiting, shaking, and diarrhea. Treatment will also depend on the type of poison, but often includes the use of activated charcoal, vomit inducers, and fluids.
Fertilizer. Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them. Look for ĎPet Safeí fertilizer.
Insecticide Toxicity. This is caused by overuse and misuse of insecticides, both in the home and yard. Poisoned Kidz will display vomiting, fever, diarrhea, weight loss, appetite loss, seizures, depression, trouble breathing and tremors. If you see such signs, or suspect your Kid has been exposed to an insecticide, go to the vet immediately, preferably with a sample of the product. Treatment will likely include the use of fluids and activated charcoal to induce vomiting, or a special external wash if your pet's skin was exposed to the insecticide. Just be sure to limit insecticide use in and around your home, and follow the productís instructions carefully. Also look for ĎPet Safeí products from your home and garden retailer.
Antifreeze Poisoning (Ethylene Glycol Toxicity). Your Kid will find the aroma and taste of anti-freeze delicious this is because of the ethylene glycol, a common ingredient in antifreeze brands. Unfortunately it is deadly, and only a small amount, a few tablespoons, depending on the animalís size, can kill your Kid. Itís best to know the early signs, since survival depends on speedy treatment. These include vomiting, excessive thirst, seizures and drunk-like behavior. A vet may suggest giving your Kid activated charcoal, plenty of fluids and a gastric lavage (stomach wash) to prevent any more toxin from being absorbed into the Kidz blood stream. Be careful with antifreeze and watch for any leaks in your garage and driveway!
Gastric Foreign Body. You can't leave Kidz alone, because there is no telling what they might put in their mouths. Your Kid dogs will eat anything, including your remote control and cell phone. This can be very dangerous for your Kid. The presence of a foreign object in the body can make the Kidz intestine fold in like a fan, leading to complications and even death from the lack of blood flow. If this occurs, surgery is required to remove the dead part of the intestine. Symptoms to watch out for include vomiting, fever, shock, and a refusal to eat. Avoid the worry and make sure you Kid your home, placing all objects that may be swallowed in a safe and secure place.
Mushrooms. Mushrooms can be harmful to your Havanese. Some can even be deadly. Please check the area regularly where you walk your Havanese and remove any mushrooms that may have popped up.
Copyright © 2006 KandL Kidz. All rights reserved.